Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Consuming Fire

The Lord will consume Assyria's glory like a fire consumes a forest in a fruitful land; it will waste away like sick people in a plague. Isaiah 10:18

I remember a few years ago when we caught our back yard on fire. I drove past a small brush fire on my way home from work today and thought back to that day. We were burning a pile of brush too and it started small. We kept it contained where we were comfortable with it. Anytime it would get going too much we would manage it back down.

At one point we took our eyes off it for too long. Before we knew it smoke filled down our street. We looked to find it had spread immensely. The fire ran between trees and brush and filled our back woods. It got out of our control. We tried effortlessly to maintain it to no avail.

Do you ever feel that way in life? Do you feel consumed by something that you try to keep together and fail. Does something consume you that you know shouldn't? What should consume us anyway?

As I watch my husband live out this God given opportunity I see him become more and more consumed with God. The Word and prayer are spreading rapidly in his life like a wildfire. And seeing this happen in a man that was once taken over by things of this world is so absolutely amazing.

And do you know what it does for me? It excites me for our future and the plan that God is laying. But it creates a desire in me for that same fire. I wonder how many people can see that fire in him, in me. I wonder how many more people we can spread that same fire to. That is our ultimate purpose, isn't it?

No comments: