Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Mother's Tribute...of sorts!

I am currently fighting two evils. I am tired from a busy weekend (and my head is pounding) but I have these thoughts going crazy in my mind about moms and Mother's day. So, I am going to try and get some of these down on "paper" and maybe I will sleep better.

You see, I have always struggled with this day in the past. Because I am in a unique situation. I am mother to a child that I don't get privileges to on Mother's day. I mother him every day of the week. I pack his lunch, I help with his homework, I drive him to and fro, I feed him dinner, and tuck him into bed. I counsel his choices and hug and kiss on him. But he is not mine. My husband tries really hard to set an example for him to show his appreciation for me as well as his biological mom. It is hard for him though. He has to make two crafts at school. He has to spend the day with his mom then come home to me and try to make me feel special too. I have a lot of appreciation for step parents. I know how it is. However, I am not your normal step parent. I do not have my step son only on the weekends. I am flat out raising him as my own. Don't get me wrong, I would not have it any other way. But where my hard feelings come in is when my toes get stepped on and my being a mom get put on a back burner for someone to get celebrated who does half what I do. Does that make sense? I make everyday about my kids. Not just the weekends. I make sure my children have boundaries and obey me. I show them love each and every day not just when I feel like. But let me get off my soap box and continue.

I realize that God created us each different even in the mothering that we do. But I like to think of myself as a down to earth kind of mom. A roll with the punches type. I have recently been in contact with some moms who are just over the top. Almost diva-ish if that makes sense. To me having a child is not about dressing them in the finest digs. It is not about their hair being perfect all the time. It is not about them only eating their fruits and veggies. Let them be kids!! Let them get sticky from a sucker. Or dirty from the ballpark. Let them sleep in the car and jump on the bed...with supervision of course!

I guess it all comes down to the fact that being a mother is not about you! It is not about you getting the praise for what you do or how your kids look. They will never do what you want them to do to a T anyway. They will not sleep through the night and they will not be healthy all the time. This is earth we live on and it is not perfect. You can buy them the most expensive clothes and props but I promise you they will spit up on them!!! And I will laugh :) I just came to the realization that these are little people we are dealing with. They are not dolls or a show and tell item. They are precious and a blessing from God. It just bothers me when people don't take that to heart.

Happy Mother's day...to all who get that!!!

No comments: